Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Archive for the ‘Uncategorized’ Category

Yes – this is off topic, as was my Sarychev Peak Eruption post, but that’s about it so far.

This video put a smile on my face and it is only 21 seconds. I highly recommend the diversion.

Advertisements

Read Full Post »

This morning I became aware of a browser add-on made by Abine called Do Not Track.  Suffice it to say, it was rather eye opening.

I typically use Google Chrome as my browser about 80% of the time and Mozilla Firefox the other 20%.  Do Not Track can be installed on both browsers. I used Do Not Track at geomorphic.wordpress.com and was surprised to find out how many tracking cookies are put on my computer, and yours, when viewing the site.

In light of this, I will be taking down the Twitter and Google +1 links.  As for Quantcast, all I can suggest is that you either install something like Do Not Track, or you can manually delete any quantcast.com cookies.

I never consciously developed this site to track my readers, but ignorance isn’t much of an excuse.  In any event, I do apologies to my readers for having these sites track you.

Read Full Post »

LRRD has put up a series of short videos that show sediment transport, open channel hydraulics, and river adjustment.

http://serc.carleton.edu/NAGTWorkshops/geomoph/emriver/index.html

I’ve been reading LRRD’s blog for a while, but I wasn’t aware of this entire set of videos.  LRRD seems like a great firm and is doing the public a service by creating its teaching tools.  It seems like they do a great deal of work designing their scale models and traveling around with them and making some videos along the way. Thank you for all your efforts!

HT: David G. in the Geomorphology group on LinkedIn

Read Full Post »

Many of you are likely familiar with the real time data the USGS serves with respect to flow and perhaps stage. While the network is far more limited, the USGS also serves up real-time water quality data that are available here:
http://waterwatch.usgs.gov/wqwatch/
Perhaps there is a project you are working on that might be able to put these data to use.  The water quality variables include temperature, conductivity, pH, dissolved oxygen, turbidity and nitrate levels (very few sites).

Read Full Post »

I’m a volunteer for the Ipswich River Watershed Association. (http://ipswichriver.org/) It’s a great organization and it has been working with the NOAA Restoration Center and the MA Department of Environmental Restoration on some dam removal projects. In my town of Ipswich, MA there is a dam in town that is currently undergoing a removal feasibility study.  The budget is tight, which provides a great opportunity for volunteer help.

As such, I created an IRWA GIS group on ArcGIS.com and have managed to make a few preliminary maps that provide some basic information about the watershed and the project site in town. If you are interested contributing to this group, please feel free to click on the ‘join this group’ button.

I also have a Box.net account and have created a shared folder called IRWA. I’m hoping to work with IRWA staff on submitting some USGS gage analyses I’ve done and a hydrology writeup I did that gives some basic background on the flow conditions at the dam.  IRWA has some monitoring programs that involve volunteers collecting field data (dissolved oxygen, temperature, cross sections, macroinvertebrate sampling, and fish counts). Here too, I’m hoping to get these data onto the site so that a broader audience can access and view the data.  Box is currently offering 50Gb of storage for iPhone and iPad users and it has a handy add-in for MS Office applications

Finally, the one site that looks intriguing, but I haven’t really used much yet is AutoDesk’s AutoCAD WS site.  Assuming that an engineering firm is hired to develop some site plans, I might try to push for the plans to be uploaded to this site.  This could cause some concerns for the project partners, but if the people who have access to the site are known, I’m not sure what the downside is.  I’m curious to know if anyone has experience with this site and how it has worked out for them.

In the end, all of these tools get data off of our C: or network drives and allow information to be accessed and edited by a larger group.  I’m excited about the opportunities to work collaboratively with IRWA staff and volunteers using these tools.

Read Full Post »

Admittedly this is a bit off topic, but here’s a link to an 8 second video taken from the international space station that I think is pretty cool.

Read Full Post »

%d bloggers like this: